Links are vital components for establishing industry authority, attracting new traffic, and prompting web-crawling for SEO purposes. However, links can also be completely ineffective and can even be detrimental to a site if they’re used haphazardly. Internet marketing agency, fishbat,
1. Test links. Bad links can have a negative effect on SEO and can damage a brand’s reputation. Links should be tested before being placed on websites to ensure that there are no broken links or redirects. Test existing links regularly to ensure that they are still valid.
2. Focus on quality and relevancy. Gone are the days of keyword and link stuffing. For links to drive traffic and impact SEO, they must be focused on value-added information and relevant content. Random linking will not drive results and can be penalized by search engines resulting in lower ranking.
4. Create deep links. Often, links are embedded in homepages and contact pages, which is good for certain links to get readers to important CTAs, but all links should not lead there. The main navigation already directs users to these pages, so by linking to internal pages, brands can call attention to other important information within the site, expanding their authority and strengthening SEO for the overall site.
5. Utilize contextual links. It used to be common practice to cram links into the footers throughout websites. That is no longer an acceptable means of linking according to search engine parameters. Such practices are unnatural for the reader, do not command attention, and now get penalized by search engines. Links within content provide contextual references for the reader, providing a better value and attracting more attention.
6. Ensure stability and usability in URLs and content. Link to primary sources whenever possible. Refrain from linking to any links that could be short term, such as passing news, or could contain any erroneous or unverified information. Additionally, links should lead to pages over PDFs to avoid the need to download content. It’s important that users can trust the links on a site and easily access the information.
7. Exercise caution with link shorteners. URL shorteners are beneficial in cases of social media links and any situation where URL length is limited. However, when used for text hyperlinks, shorteners can create instability due to reliance on third party involvement. Without control over link content, sites are vulnerable to issues such as bad links, or even a virus. Be sure to utilize a program that produces permalinks and archives target content, if it’s necessary to use a link shortener for text hyperlinks.